Wapping Hockey Club, one of London’s largest hockey clubs, has launched its own line of beers across East London to toast its most successful season ever that saw eight of its teams gain promotion.
The brand proceeds from the three craft beers -- named Wapping Hoppy, Wapping Gold and Wapping Cape – will help Wapping HC generate additional revenue to continue growing and offer members access to some of the best facilities in the country.
Wapping HC’s beers will be available in six East London pubs, and will also be on tap at their stadium, the East London Olympic legacy venue. Spectators attending the Unibet Eurohockey Championships at Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre this August will be able to enjoy London’s first “hockey beer”.
“The Olympics were all about inspiration and so too is the Legacy. The international players in the Euros will inspire the grass roots, and with this new product on tap, their spectators will support fresh talent,” said Wapping HC Chairman Stuart Burnside.
The club launched a new strategy in 2014 which gave equal priority to ensuring accessibility for people with disabilities to play as it did to developing the first teams’ for an assault on the national league. The Club re-launched youth provision in 2015 with an ambition to be as inclusive as possible.
“We want to offer a full service, inclusive, sports club with a home equally suitable for novices and internationals, with players and spectators of all ages,” Burnside said.
Notes to Editors:
- In 2014, Wapping HC added the Olympic Legacy facility, the new national stadium at Lee Valley Hockey & Tennis Centre, to its range of home facilities. An anchor tenancy put the club alongside West Ham FC, the London Lions and others in benefitting from the investment into East London’s sporting infrastructure
- The boost was immediately visible. Access to the best pitches in the country helped performance to skyrocket, with the club securing eight promotions and a nomination as the best club in England in its most successful season ever
- Wapping even extended a helping hand to other clubs, by setting up its Goalkeeper Academy where the GB coach and players train goalkeepers young and old and their club coaches
- Now, as the club prepares for the upcoming season, the local community are joining with England Hockey in helping to finance the club’s continued push forward
- To help finance this expansion, the club has teamed up with the Brentwood Brewing Company, and with the help of designer Netta Peltola, launched its own range of beers:
Wapping Hoppy. A smooth, crisp, refreshing craft beer with citrus aromas. This golden pale ale is brewed with marris otter and caragold malts. ABV 4% With a strapline of: “The Home of Hoppy” this keg beer has been launched specifically for the new home of English hockey, the Lee Valley Hockey & Tennis Centre: https://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/go/hockey-tennis/ and will be on tap during the Unibet EuroHockey Championships 21-30 August - tickets: http://eurohockey2015.co.uk/
Wapping Gold. A rich, golden beer with a slight sweet malt character and heavily hopped with powerful fruity Cascade hops that come through at the end, providing a great finish. Strapline: “Jolly Hoppy Sips.” ABV 4.3%. This cask beer will be found in a range of East London pubs as a guest (below) and will be a regular in Wapping's clubhouse.
Wapping Cape. This lightly hopped session IPA makes for an ideal refreshing pint after a hard match. An exclusive beverage honouring Wapping HC’s clubhouse, The Cape, St Katharine Docks as a thank you for supporting hockey with both a clubhouse and sponsorship. Strapline: “A light hoppy session”. ABV 3.7%. Available in cask, in the Cape only.
Wapping Gold can be found on draught and in bottles at the Cape, with cases of bottles available for off purchase too, and will also feature as a guest ale at:
· Dickens Inn, St Katharine Docks
· Town of Ramsgate, Wapping
· White Swan and Cuckoo, Wapping
· Prospect of Whitby, Wapping
· Wilton’s Music Hall, the oldest surviving Music Hall in the world.
For enquires please email firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet @TheHockeyBeer