Last Saturday saw the Ladies 1s take centre stage. On and off the pitch. Having smashed their league to take the title with 3 games to spare (to join the L6, M5, M7, M9), they then set about hosting an inaugural Club Quiz and Raffle at the Cape.
Their efforts brought back the power & raised over £340 - not to mention the extra revenue from bar spend (see below)! A big thanks to Becky Hart (pictured) and the rest of the L1s for organising! + well done to our former Chair Musto for helping his team to victory (by just half a point - we were robbed!).
The money raised will be ploughed back into making the club even better & your membership fees go even further!
So, besides your annual membership subscriptions, and the latest inspiring example of a fundraiser, how else does the Club raise funds to keep up with rising costs and make hockey accessible to all? Well, we're raising cash in a number of ways, and you can help here too! Check it out below:
1. Sponsorship 1 – JLL: Wapping HC are proudly sponsored by JLL Residential UK. A big part of our success in securing these sponsors is down to you, our members – every social media interaction, be it on Facebook or Twitter, plus all the great photos, match reports and press clippings with us adorning their logo up and down the country is what keeps these relationships strong.
2. Sponsorship 2 – the Cape: Our beloved clubhouse and HQ at the Cape gives us 15% back on bar spend from our members – whether that’s at our regular socials, on a Saturday post-match or any other time you’re in there - with or without the rest of us. Just let the bar staff know that you’re with Wapping HC when you order at the bar & a chunk of your spend will be allocated back to the club without it costing you a penny more. + did you know, there’s also a 20% discount on all Cape food in it for you!
3. The Hockey Beer: our latest creation! Ahead of the 2015 Euros, we teamed up with Brentwood Brewing Company to offer three craft beers - named Wapping Hoppy, Wapping Gold and Wapping Cape, with 100% of the brand proceeds coming directly to the club. So bottoms up! Currently available in 4 venues, on keg, draft and in bottles – but do get in touch with us if your local watering hole, work bar or event would be interested in stocking London’s first “hockey beer”. + if you fancy getting your hands on a case of 12 hockey beers? - email: email@example.com (they even deliver to your door - all for just £30 - cheers!).
4. Easyfundraising: Did you know that whenever you buy anything online - from your weekly shop to your annual holiday - you could be raising a free donation for Wapping Hockey Club? There are nearly 3,000 retailers including Amazon, John Lewis and thetrainline, who will donate a percentage of the amount you spend to WHC to say thank you for shopping with them. It's really simple, and doesn't cost you anything. So, join 25 others, sign up for free at: http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/wappinghockeyclub and get shopping. Your donations will then be automatically sent to Wapping HC. It really is that simple! Don't shop online? You can also register your card to raise 5% cashback on your morning brew at Caffe' Nero.
5. Discount suppliers: Mercian Hockey, in association with distributor The Hockey Centre have helped power our club's GK academy and their discounted stash saves us money each season! All Wapping members benefit from a 10% discount on their gear purchased from the Hockey Centre.
6. Grants and other donors : The JO relay, youth and Flyerz hockey, plus our Back to Hockey scheme all launched launched at next to no cost to the club - these wouldn't have been possible without the support of the local council, among others.
7. Volunteers!! More than anything else - the valuable time and commitment donated by many of our members helps to keep our costs down. There are loads of volunteers behind the scenes here at Wapping helping out. From umpiring and coaching, washing the match-day kit, putting equipment away securely after use, to organising pitches, the summer league and socials - there's a host of opportunities for you to get involved with that as well! Our club AGM (April 16th) is a great way to get to know more about the club & how you can help out and get involved - and feel free to ask your captains, or any member of the Committee about their role and how you could help, throughout the year.
Rewards: As a further reward to our members, you can also receive a host of further discounts at our partners.
Finally, to see how the club's money was spent last year, a full breakdown of club income and expenditure for the 2014/15 season is available to all club members on the website: information->documents.
Thanks for your support!
Joel, The Treasurer.
Updated 15:16 - 16 Mar 2016 by Stuart Burnside